Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

GUEST
Dear Mr. Michael J. I. Jackson,

with all my respect to the work you've done and still do and with all my understanding for your personal needs and pains, please excuse me, Sir, how can you:

1. Cut out major features without documenting how to replace/mimic them (skins)
2. Provide a largely unfinished documentation (where's player inline mentioned and what else is missing)

and

3. still have the balls to switch to a commercial license for a whopping $20 for a single developer.

without

4. supplying the old 2.x version with IE8 bugs fixed for free?

Your script is in use in prodction environments. Now, with IE8, there are issues that need to be fixed. You force people to switch to the new script, reimplement their custom styles, threat them moraly whether to pay the license or not ...

And still people are thankful? Hey, know what? Now that yoiu want my money, it is business time and no more script-kiddy-offering-free-stuff-earnig-kudos time

So please, excuse me again but this needed to be said!

Re: Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

DrScientist
It would be nice if we could download the archived versions (Ver.2) .. A lot of people would be happy

Re: Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

PIco
You want the 2.0 version, I can send it to you

Re: Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

lancemonotone

Re: Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

Will Fastie
From the point at which I started using Shadowbox-js until now, the licensing has not changed. That's only been about six months; perhaps the change you describe happened before I became aware of SB.

I did not mind paying for a license because v2 had so many advantages over other systems. I did not think $20 in any way outrageous (certainly not "whopping") because I more than made that back on the first project in which I deployed SB.

I agree with you that the shift from v2 to v3 was abrupt; I visited the site to look at documentation and at first did not realize that it was the wrong documentation - v3 showed up and v2 was gone.  Then there are the reports of many odd behaviors with various versions of IE that are not easily reproduced and did not seem to be a problem in v2.

I thus continue to use v2 with the expectation that v3 will get smoothed out sooner or later.

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: Broken features, unfinished docs, change license to commercial. Are you kidding?

LessZoa
Will Fastie wrote

I did not mind paying for a license because v2 had so many advantages over other systems. I did not think $20 in any way outrageous (certainly not "whopping") because I more than made that back on the first project in which I deployed SB.

I agree with you that the shift from v2 to v3 was abrupt; I visited the site to look at documentation and at first did not realize that it was the wrong documentation - v3 showed up and v2 was gone.  Then there are the reports of many odd behaviors with various versions of IE that are not easily reproduced and did not seem to be a problem in v2.

I thus continue to use v2 with the expectation that v3 will get smoothed out sooner or later.

Will

And this is my opinion as well.

I love the feature - will be implementing it in some projects - and purchased the license. However, since v3 is so &%&$# frustrating, will be implementing v2.. and keeping a close watch to this site.

Hopefully Michael will get over his "death" and his new twitter following and get things with v3 smoothed out.

I am patient.
LessZoa
  webmaven - developer - admin - designer
"I know just enough to be dangerous to my vendors & staff."
twitter | blog | work | fun