Does Shadowbox (plugin) Not Work on Android?

Does Shadowbox (plugin) Not Work on Android?

soupking
Does Shadowbox Not Work on Android?

Hi everybody,

I'm using shadowbox in a wordpress portfolio site and my client can't see the mp4 files on his phone.

I really like shadowbox but I've spent 20 hours building it and now find that shadowbox requests a QT plugin every time I click a video link. So it's not supported or somehow. Now I'm up against a wall building this thing because I'm converting it to a wordpress blog and I'm using the shadowbox box plugin.

Was this just a big bad idea trying to use shadowbox this way or is there a solution?

If somebody could point out how somebody can use shadowbox in wordpress and have it show up on a phone I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've spent a ton of hours troubleshooting this site and it feels like an impossibly huge uphill battle figuring out why it's failing through 2 HTML systems and then a phone's compatibility. I do know that the MP4 file type I'm using works on the phone without shadowbox so it's not the video.

Thanks in advance for any help, again it's really appreciated.

-max

Re: Does Shadowbox (plugin) Not Work on Android?

CodeMonster
If im not mistaken, Android has the ability to view flash?

Try using the FLV player to play your mp4 videos? Just specify Flash Video when you download the plugin and specify rel="shadowbox;player=flv".

If that isn't a good option for you, try converting the video files over to windows media format and see if that media type works well on browsers (mobile and standard).

I was having an issue with .mp4 files goofing up in IE because of the way IE wants to handle the Quicktime plugin cache. I am currently in the process of converting over to using the FLV player to play my .mp4 movies. Haven't tested it on a mobile device but would be interesting to see the results.

Re: Does Shadowbox (plugin) Not Work on Android?

soupking
I hear you about Flash. The more HTML5 etc I get into I'm like...This used to be easier even using XML.

The thing is I can't rebuild the whole site in Flash at this point.

I'm thinking at this point I might just build a Javascript header condition for site vs. mobile and then have the mobile site link to media directly w/o shadowbox. It's not as cool as Shadowbox, but...frankly my client hasn't considered this kind of thing like video size on web vs. phone. They're asking for two sites in one and right now I just want to get this thing out of my life. (lol)

Thanks a bunch for the insight though, you can spend hours testing different stuff in different scenarios. I think I'm just going to put up the most customer-friendly white flag that I can at this point.

Best wishes.