Google maps incompatibility

kjetilgf
Hi
Thanks for a great, easy to use plugin.
It turns out, though, that <strong>it is not compatible with the otherwise great Inline Google Maps plugin</strong> (plugin site here). With the Shadowbox plugin activated no maps show up - with it deactivated everything works.
I need both functionalities. <strong>Any suggestions - probably on another plugin for making inline Google maps?</strong>
Thanks,
Kjetil

dolcevita.no

Re: Google maps incompatibility

no64
... there is a conflict with the both scripts.

Why not using Shadowbox to display the Google Maps?
There is a really easy way to do that ... also without a Google API Key.
I made it that way, cause I didn't had that API Key.

The link opening a Google Map with Shadowbox would look like this:
(use "<" at the beginning instead of "*", I just made this because I don't know how to post codes here)

*a rel="shadowbox;width=800;height=480" title="Google Maps" href="http://maps.google.no/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=Colosseum,+rom,+italia&ie=UTF8&ll=41.897741,12.496605&spn=0.013576,0.033774&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr&output=embed&s=AARTsJpwpFb6sPN87ebZNnqmDj2iUJ__sw" >Google Maps

You just link to the URL you get from Googlemaps if you look at the code you get for an iFrame.

Lets say you are looking for

Colosseum, Rome, Italia

at:

http://maps.google.no/

you will see the map of Rome
and at the upper right of the map you can find a link to see the URL of the map, klick on that and you will be provided with to code snippets.
Grab the "HTML Code" for the iFrame:

Grab the URL from the "scr" - that is your Link to put in the "href"

Works fine for me and no need for API Key.

Re: Google maps incompatibility

kjetilgf
Thanks a lot! Brilliant!
This solves things, and more than that, it helped me clear up other ways to use maps.

The problem, however, is that with the inline google maps, the bubbles stays cleaner. I'd like them just to show the title and text i've typed into them in my google maps - while now they also get links like e.g. Search nearby. This isn't perfect thinking of keeping our (hopefully soon many) advertisers.
Anyhow: For the big maps I'll just use the Google's own iframe solution - and for the smaller i'll use your brilliant idea.
So - thanks a lot - I'll keep this one
:o)
Kjetil

Re: Google maps incompatibility

no64
... glad, I could help.

Maybe you want to post some links where I can see how all your google maps look like and work.
Would be interresting to see how "your" bubbles look like.

Re: Google maps incompatibility

kjetilgf
Sure I'm converting an Italy guide - dolcevita.no - to Wordpress. Quite a complex job (since i was a newbee on WP three months ago) - but to be released this week. Have a look at dolcevita.no/wp and use the far-left drop menu to the different regions. A couple of map pages: Emilia-Romgagna - Toscana - Sicilia For now, the Shadowbox is running on videos (SE VIDEO...) and QT panorama photos (allow to load...) Comments are appreciated - especially for things not working :o) Kjetil

Re: Google maps incompatibility

no64
great work on a wordpress platform and I like those panorama pics.... I tried to use wordpress as a CMS a year ago, but I didn't get so far and switched to Joomla instead. But I would like to make something in Wordpress, cause it is so slick.

I wanted to open up a thread in a german forum especially for all stuff you need to "make" Wordpress a CMS, but nobody was really interrested in it. It is hard to find all plugins and hacks to use it comfortable as a CMS.

Re: Google maps incompatibility

kjetilgf
Hello again I'd be happy to share some experiences. i'm just too busy just now - we'll probably release the new WP site tomorrow. If you like, just send me a reminder in a week or two to kjetil@mysite Cheers

Re: Google maps incompatibility

mike
I implemented this method, but IMO it's not a good solution. I had a desire to use other features of the Google Maps API, but using an iframe with a direct link doesn't allow for other API features.