How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

blafarm
Shadowbox 3.0.3 is opening my H.264 MP4's files in QuickTime -- rather then my licensed copy of the JW Flash Player

I read and tried the "mime map" solution here:
http://shadowbox-js.1309102.n2.nabble.com/mp4-files-supposed-to-open-in-flash-plays-in-Quicktime-tp1310242p1310244.html

...And here (end of page):
http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/forums/jw-player/javascript-interaction/5930/how-to-get-shadowbox-to-play-mp4-files-with-jw-pla

I've also tried the solution posted here:
http://shadowbox-js.1309102.n2.nabble.com/mp4-files-supposed-to-open-in-flash-plays-in-Quicktime-tp1310242p1310243.html

And, finally, I went into the shadowbox.js and removed the qt - mp4 references -- and that didn't' work either.

My licensed version of JW Player has been copied into my website root directory -- as well as the Shadowbox 3.0.3 directory (of course, with the "licensed" name removed)

It may very well be operator error on my part -- but none of these solutions seem to force Shadowbox to launch my .mp4 videos in the JW Player -- they are always launched in QuickTime.

Any suggestions regarding how I can accomplish this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

ltooz
Need to modify the shadowbox.js file, it's here

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

blafarm
Hi Louis,

Thanks so much for your response.  I appreciate it.

Based on your post, I downloaded a version of Shadowbox and DID NOT select QuickTime or WMP.
Unfortunately, it's still not working.

I am using a licensed version of JW Flash Player 5.02 -- and a licensed version of Shadowbox 3.0.3
I have replaced the default "player.swf" in the Shadowbox directory -- with my renamed licensed JW Player.

For the record, I need to use two different approaches for my web development:

I need to use the "Simple" approach -- described at the top of this page:  http://www.shadowbox-js.com/usage.html
And using links that look like this:  Click Here

And I need to use the "Advanced" approach -- described half way down the same page.
And using links that look like this:  http://www.cnn.com

I have been testing Shadowbox with 3 different links -- a "URL Test", "mp4 Test", and "flv Test".
And I have create 2 test pages -- each of which have different scripts below the <head> tag -- "Simple" and "Advanced".
I have copied those "Simple" and "Advanced" scripts at the bottom of this post.

I have loaded the test page on three different computers -- and I have launched 3 different browsers on each computer.

Here are my browser results:

SIMPLE TEST
-----------------
Firefox:
URL Test:    Shadowbox works correctly
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox works -- video opens in QuickTime
flv Test:     Shadowbox works -- video opens in JW Player (correct skin)

Chrome:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works
mp4 Test:  Shadowbox works -- video opens in JW Player (different skin)
flv Test:     Shadowbox works -- video opens in JW Player (correct skin)

Internet Explorer:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger -- but "stack overflow at line: 0 error"
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox launches -- but window is 2x larger -- video opens in WMP
flv Test:     Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger -- video opens in JW Player ( with the correct skin)

ADVANCED TEST
----------------------
Firefox:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox works -- video opens in QuickTime
flv Test:     Shadowbox works --  video opens in JW Player (correct skin)

Chrome:
URL Test:    No Shadowbox -- browser navigates to new page
mp4 Test:    No Shadowbox -- browser navigates to new page
flv Test:      Nothing At All -- browser spawns download dialog box

Internet Explorer:
URL Test:    Shadowbox works -- but "stack overflow at line: 0 error"
mp4 Test:    Shadowbox launches -- video opens WMP
flv Test:      Shadowbox works -- video opens in JW Player (correct skin)

SIMPLE SCRIPT
-------------------------
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="MYDOMAIN/shadowbox-3.0.3/shadowbox.css">

ADVANCED SCRIPT
-------------------------
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" MYDOMAIN/shadowbox-3.0.3/shadowbox.css">
<script type="text/javascript" src=" MYDOMAIN/shadowbox-3.0.3/shadowbox.js"></script><script type="text/javascript"> Shadowbox.init({ handleOversize: "none", overlayOpacity: ".8", viewportPadding: "1", autoplayMovies: true }); function loadShadowbox(){ // set up all anchor elements having target='_parent' attribute Shadowbox.setup("a[target='_parent']",{ width:200, height:200 }); } </script>
onload='getCookieValues();SetSliders();postcode();recalc_onclick("obj");setValueofBtn();ResetRatings();loadShadowbox();' ... />

Do you have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thanks very much for your assistance.  It is much appreciated.

Cheers

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

ltooz
Hi,
 I don't think you edit the shadowbox.js as instructed in the blog. Anyhow, as I understand, the shadowbox has 3 players for videos with default extensions for each of these players. Your JWplayer will be in the flash player. Below is the original default setting for players with their default extension V3.0.3 of shadowbox.js

shadowbox.js original

Now if you remove the extensions of the players you don't want and place them to the ones that you want to play as default, shadowbox will deploy the correct players for the new extensions. Like my new shadowbox.js, I have mp4, and mov in the flash player which will play by the JWPlayer and I moved all the wmv, mpg, avi, mpeg to WMP. I leave practically nothing for the Quicktime.

edited new extensions and players

Hope this helps,

Louis

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

blafarm
Hi Louis,

Thanks very much for your prompt response.

I am sorry I misunderstood your directions.  I understand them now.

I have edited the shadowbox.js file  -- and there are many improvements.

SIMPLE TEST
-----------------
Firefox:
URL Test:    Shadowbox works
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox works
flv Test:     Shadowbox works

Chrome:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works
mp4 Test:  Shadowbox works
flv Test:     Shadowbox works

Internet Explorer:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger -- and "stack overflow at line: 0 error"
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger
flv Test:     Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger

ADVANCED TEST
----------------------
Firefox:
URL Test:   Shadowbox works
mp4 Test:   Shadowbox works
flv Test:     Shadowbox works

Chrome:
URL Test:    No Shadowbox -- browser navigates to new page
mp4 Test:    No Shadowbox -- browser navigates to new page
flv Test:      Nothing At All -- browser spawns download dialog box

Internet Explorer:
URL Test:    Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger -- and "stack overflow at line: 0 error"
mp4 Test:    Shadowbox works -- but window is 2x larger
flv Test:      Shadowbox works -- -- but window is 2x larger

Looking at my scripts at the bottom of from my last post -- do you have any idea why I am still having the problems that are listed above?

Thanks very much.

Cheers

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

ltooz
Hello,
 As I understand, shadowbox only works with links. I don't know much about what you want to do there with your scripts.
 If you explain what you really want to do with your advance tests, may be other shadowbox gurus can help you.
 About the internet explorer shows 2x, you may need to put the correct size in the "rel="shadowbox;width=x;height=y""

Cheers,

Louis

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

blafarm
Thank you very much for your help Louis.

Hopefully, a Shadowbox guru will take pity on me and chime-in on this thread.

Thanks again.

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

d.powell
I just stumbled on a possible solution...at least, it seems to be working for me.
I output h264 .mov or .mp4 files via QT Pro. Those opened in QT rather than JW player. So, I simply changed the .mov or .mp4 to .m4v and now they're opening in JW player 3.0.3. JW player 5 gave me some strange issues though.
So far, worked in OS 10.5.8 on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari...not a very good test, I know :(

Check out dpowellsound(dot)com
It might work for you!
Several of the links are youtube or vimeo embeds. Click the pictures on the bottom to open direct hosted vids.

Re: How to Force Shadowbox to Open MP4 in JW Player -- not QuickTime

blafarm
Thanks very much.

I think I've solved this problem using a different technique.
I simply put a "player=flv" in the rel statement and the video opens with JW Player.

Thanks for your post, though.
I appreciate it.