IE7 Choppy/Slow Transitions?

jaddison
I am just wondering if anyone else is noticing the difference between IE7 (possibly IE6 as well) and FF3, Safari and Opera. The latter three appear to be operating smoothly and elegantly, but IE7 seems to be choppy in all aspects of transitioning: fading in the overlay, sizing the shadowbox itself to the image size, fading in the image and lastly fading out the overlay/image. Is there something I should be doing differently, that I can change? My details: - Shadowbox 2.0 RC1 - mootools adapter - have combined Shadowbox, English and the 'img' player into one JS file - only using 'img' player Oh, I am noticing this same behaviour on the demo page as well as my own pages... Let me know if I can provide any further information. Thank you!

Re: IE7 Choppy/Slow Transitions?

What can I say? I've tried to make it as easy as possible for the browser to render the box, with as little computation as possible for such a complex application, but that doesn't change the fact that the IE team is still 3 or 4 years behind the competition.

My Windows machine is a fairly new Dell laptop running XP Pro, and it's pretty smooth. Chances are you had some other applications open when you were using Shadowbox, and the operating system wasn't able to allocate enough memory to the browser. That or you're running on an old machine and you don't have a lot of memory to begin with. Either way, Shadowbox is definitely a memory intensive application, and you should factor that into your decision to use Shadowbox for a given project.

You can always use the animate and animateFade options to disable all animations on your page. That should help a bit.

Or, you could always put this code on your page:

function annoyingIEAlert(){
    alert('Internet Explorer sucks!');
};

setInterval(annoyingIEAlert, 50);

That won't fix the problem, but it should prevent your IE users from ever even getting the chance to use it!

Re: IE7 Choppy/Slow Transitions?

jaddison
Michael,

You have my thanks for producing such a great piece of code.  It is very helpful!

I am not on a particularly slow machine; nor do I have intensive applications running.  I also have a friend who is experiencing similar issues on a brand new, relatively high-end laptop.  Still, I am definitely not complaining.

I fully realise that IE is... subpar.  I can deal with things for now.  If I find anything that can help, I will pass the information on.

Thanks again.

Re: IE7 Choppy/Slow Transitions?

Check out this thread for the cause of this problem. Will be fixed for v2 final release.