IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

12

IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
In IE7 only (works in Chrome/Safari/FireFox and I haven't tested IE6/8 yet), the SB opens relative to the scroll bar instead of in the middle of the viewport. When the page is scrolled, the SB moves along.

This did not happen with v2.

v3: http://www.cms24-7.com/test_sb.htm
v2: http://www.cms24-7.com/

To see the effect, click any image in the right stack and then scroll. Alternatively, scroll down until you can see the photo with the cookbooks and toques, then click that image.

I put a screen shot on my site:  http://systems.fastie.net/private/split-screen.jpg.

Bug or did I miss a step?

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
This morning I checked both IE6/WinXP and IE8/Vista. The problem described above does not occur.

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Sophia
Hi Will,

When I test your link in IE7 it is working perfectly. Did you find the solution to the bug?

I have the same problem and desperately need to get it sorted.. (hence still working at 4:05 in the morning) My shadowbox is not visible in IE7 until I scroll as in your jpeg, looks perfect in mozilla155TZ.

Help would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks,
Sophia

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
Sophia:

No, I did not fix it. Are you sure you were looking at the correct link, http://www.cms24-7.com/test_sb.htm?

The thought that you saw it working correctly made me think something was amiss on my primary PC, so I tested the page on another machine. I got the same result.

I may try to wade through the CSS file later today to see if I can find the problem there. In the meantime, my "workaround" is to keep v2 in the production system and not deploy v3 until I can sort this out. That means I'm not in a terrible rush.

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
Sophia:

I asked one of my clients to test this for me a few moments ago. He tested on one machine and, like you, could not duplicate the effect.  That led me to wonder about the specific version of IE in use.  He was using 7.0.5730.11 while my primary PC is using 7.0.5730.13. However, the second machine I tested with is using .11 and I see the problem on both PCs.  Still, he did not see the problem, which is confusing.

Given that you see don't see the problem on my page, I'm wondering what other environmental factors might be coming in to play.  Windows version? IE/Win combination?

Can you post a link to a test page so we can see how it's not working for you?

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
I have added a new image demonstrating the effect:

     http://systems.fastie.net/private/split-screen-at-Shadowboxjs.com.jpg

I got this by clicking "External Site" under "Web" on the Shadowbox-js home page using IE7.

NatureGirl
Will, I see what you are talking about.  The same things happens to me on the homepage of Shadowbox.js in IE7.  I thought it wasn't working at first because the viewport appears way at the top of the page, even when you are down below clicking on links.  Will this be fixed in 3.0?  2.0 works with no problems for me in IE7.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
Yes, I continue to use 2.0 as well. Given that every sample page I've tried exhibits the same result in IE7, there's really no choice.

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
I've done some further testing on both my pages and some other Shadowbox-equipped sites and from computers other than my own in locations other than my own. The problem I've described here is entirely reproducible.

Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Johnnie Davies
Hi

I am a first time user of shadowbox and I am getting exactly the same problem on my PC at home (IE7, XP Home) but not at work... (IE7, XP Pro).

I am thinking that using V2 might solve this problem, however I am having trouble finding the source files and any documentation? Has this resolved the problem for you? If so, do you have any pointers where I can download the files/docs please?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
It is true that the problem does not occur in v2.  That's why I have not yet switched to v3 and will hold on to v2 instead.

Unless Mr. Jackson provides a means of downloading that version, you're out of luck.  The license terms clearly prohibit redistribution, meaning no one else can legally give it to you.

I tested http://www.cms24-7.com/test_sb.htm in IE7 version 7.0.5730.13 and it worked perfectly for me. Have you changed anything in the example page since you last posted?

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
Michael:

No, that page has not changed a bit; I've made sure to leave it in place until this is resolved.

I'm using 7.0.5730.13 on my XP SP2 laptop.  I just tried it under Vista Business SP1 with IE7 7.0.6001.18000 on a PC at a client site and it works as expected.

Because I asked CMS to look at the test page and because they did not see the problem, in theory I could deploy v3.  However, I'm worried that their clients and associates might see the problem, which would obviously not be a good thing.

Thanks.
Will

www.fastie.com, Baltimore, MD USA.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Johnnie Davies
I'm afraid it still doesn't work for me and I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11 and XP Pro.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

salo
I confirm that in IE 8.0.6 Sadowbox is not centering right. The homepage of http://www.shadowbox-js.com does not display right... I just found this wonderful box and wanted to test it with IE and ... big disappointment.
The problem occurs ONLY when you are NOT at the top of the page when you click on link to display the box.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Mircea M
Works OK for me on IE8 and Chrome.

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

Will Fastie
Yes, it works in every browser on every platform I've tested except for IE7.

esco1313
having the same problem. i'm testing on a dell with my webpage, and the same thing happens. I've heard that maybe the Dell internet explorer my be the cause.. are you guys using dells?

Re: IE7 & 3.0b - SB does not center in viewport

esco1313
i MIGHT have a solution...

i was experiencing the same problem and JUST fixed it...
it was said on the shadowbox website that you had to add this line at the very top of your html:

i did. then, what happened was, my page was all squished on the top.
so i had to go and add these lines in the body section:

<!--
body {
        height: 100%;
        width: 100%;