Image Titling

JandJ
A fundamental requirement to me is the ability to show specified IPTC metadata beside/underneath etc each image to show for example the Author, image Title and say exhibition Description.  All this stuff is in my metadata but as far as I can see cannot be displayed  by shadowbox except a) a single field above the full size image and b) two fields on the thumbnail and c) something as a tooltip floating over the thumbnail.
Is there a proper way of controlling these data fields and has nobody come up against this?

Re: Image Titling

Wizzud
Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake but would you mind clarifying what "...is in my metadata..." means?

Regarding the exceptions...

a) single field above full size image:
I assume you mean the title area. The title will accept (within certain limits) HTML so if 3 lines of text are required they can be put in as HTML (using DIV's, P's, BR's, etc) and as long as the height of any constituent parts of the title area are increased accordingly then they will be visible and accounted for in Shadowbox's calculation of height. (Without a fixed size Shadowbox can't calculate sizing/positioning dimensions accurately)

b) 2 fields on thumbnail:
I'm afraid you've lost me here. What thumbnail?

c) tooltip over thumbnail:
Nope, still lost on 'thumbnail'.

Re: Image Titling

zulaica
What you need is a JavaScript that will read the IPTC metadata that's embedded in all your images and then a method to insert that into your Shadowbox.open calls, correct? That's a bit beyond my scope, but I can see how something like that could benefit Shadowbox in a future version.

Searching for JavaScript methods for interacting with IPTC and other metadata might help. Once that information is pulled it would just be a matter of setting that information as options.

Re: Image Titling

JandJ
Correct.
I guess you are saying that this isn't possible using just the tools/options provided in Shadowbox, which is what I wanted to know.  I'll look for a different app.

Re: Image Titling

zulaica
From what I can see, no, it isn't possible. It might be worth posting a feature request, though. I can see this being a valuable addition.

Re: Image Titling

JandJ
The metadata attached to every image includes IPTC & EXIF info and is manipulated in programs like Photoshop.
I'm using Shadowbox within Lightroom (see http://theturninggate.net/lightroom/ttg-shadowbox-gallery) to generate web output and am looking for a parametric method to tailor the page rather than get into coding which as you suggest may fix the problem but will be inflexible for rapid and automated regeneration of web pages as image catalogues change over time.
Most web galleries would consist of thumnail images which can be clicked through to the full size image.  My question was based on such a layout produced by the above software.
Your puzzlement seems to indicate that such mods are not possible from within the settings provided by Shadowbox.

Re: Image Titling

zulaica
Yes, I understand your request. Shadowbox does not provide the solution you're looking for—at least not without coding, as you've mentioned.

There isn't reason for the solution to not be a flexible one, but that would involve a bit of effort. Currently you would need to hard-code all the information you'd like to have available to your visitors. A JavaScript solution, however, could read that metadata dynamically with no extra effort on your part.

And, yes, this feature doesn't currently exist in Shadowbox. And while posting a feature request might not be a timely solution to your dilemma, it could very well push it into the next version.