Missing JW FLV Player in 3.0

sivel
The JW FLV Player seems to be missing from 3.0.  The FLV Video on http://www.shadowbox-js.com/ also does not work because of this.

Re: Missing JW FLV Player in 3.0

Because of the JW FLV player license, I cannot actually redistribute it with the Shadowbox package. Before 3.0, I was using an older version of the player. However, in the latest release a few people were asking me how to use Shadowbox with the latest JW FLV player. I decided that people should probably download the latest player themselves from the longtail website and just unzip it into the libraries directory. This seemed to me to be the most elegant solution that would still respect the terms of the JW FLV player license.

As far as the site not working properly, I just failed to upload the player. It's there now and should work properly.

As a side note, installation instructions for the JW FLV player are included in the FAQ.

What do you think? Too much hassle?

Re: Missing JW FLV Player in 3.0

sivel
I see.  I missed the FAQ page regarding the JW FLV Player.  I think it is fine but it should probably be noted on the download page that the download does not include the JW FLV Player and maybe linking over to that FAQ entry.

Re: Missing JW FLV Player in 3.0

fastasleep
I'm upgrading to 3.0 today because of IE8 breaking a couple sites I had recently installed shadowbox on. At the same time, I made sure to pay for a license for sb as I had been testing the previous version first to make sure we stuck with it. I followed the instructions on the usage page, and FLVs weren't playing. Took me a while before I gave up on making sure I had followed the instructions before searching the forum, and sure enough there's a couple scattered mentions of the FAQ explaining that you need to go get the JW Player. On top of that, since I'm using their player on a commercial site, I now have to purchase a license from them on top of the one I just bought for sb.

Obviously there should be some mention that the flv player is not included with the download on the usage page (and probably the download page as well) but also I think you should make it apparent to people who are paying you for your script that they're going to have to pay again if they want FLV playback.

Guess how much a SINGLE commercial site license for JW Player costs -- 39 EUROS. That's FIFTY EIGHT US DOLLARS. Three times as much as the $20 shadowbox license.

Boo.

Re: Missing JW FLV Player in 3.0

fastasleep
i suppose this also begs the question, is there an alternative to the jw player?