Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Khalid
I've looked around at the many others with problems using MSIE8 (I hate all IE - I prefer Firefox) - None of the existing solutions seem to cover this problem.

I'm using a base/standalone build version with just support for images and sizzle.
There are no other JS files/scripts used on my site.

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:04:16 UTC

Message: Invalid argument.
Line: 1
Char: 21827
Code: 0
URI: http://khalidsarwar.com/shadowbox.js

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

laregie
I have the same problem with IE8 and IE6.
You can see the error on :
http://test.kitcom-tfis.bi-int.com/pod/test2.html

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

rolandtom
Same issue with IE6. Please help, anyone.

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Khalid
Ok I just saw that Pixa123 posted the fix - I tried it and it works great =D

But #sb-container>#sb-overlay{height:100%;}

looks more like

#sb-container > #sb-overlay{
  /* use for sb-container position:fixed */
  height: 100%;
}

Just replace the > with a ,

Hello,
i found out that the problem is in shadowbox.css
look for the line:
#sb-container>#sb-overlay{height:100%;}
it should look like this:
#sb-container,#sb-overlay{height:100%;}

Best regards,
Pixa123

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Your page is being rendered in quirks mode, apparently because of some illegal characters preceding the doctype declaration.

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

LucasBorges
Hello friends, I have a problem very similar in my case I am using my site as follows:

index.php

<?php
include "topo.php";
include "paginas.php";
include "rodape.php";
?>

------------------------

topo.php

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "- / / W3C / / DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional / / EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
End xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title> UniCenterWeb </ title>
<link type="text/css" href="js/shadowbox/shadowbox.css">
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/shadowbox/shadowbox.js"> </ script>
<script type="text/javascript">
Shadowbox.init ((
    language: "en",
    players: [ 'img', 'html', 'iframe', 'qt', 'wmp', 'swf', 'flv']
));
</ script>
</head>
--------------------

paginas.php - default = home.php

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "- / / W3C / / DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional / / EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
End xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title> UniCenterWeb </ title>
</ head>

--------------------

rodape.php

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "- / / W3C / / DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional / / EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
End xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title> UniCenterWeb </ title>
</ head>

-----------------------------------

Well, when the site loads, it automatically loads the 3 files (topo.php, and paginas.php rodape.php).

I have some links set to open pages or external images by SB, but when I click on any of these links it results in an error page.

Error reported:

Details of the errors of the Web page

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2;. NET CLR 2.0.50727;. NET CLR 3.5.30729;. NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath .2)
Stamp Date / Time: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:52:17 UTC

Message: Invalid argument.
Line: 1
Character: 21827
Code: 0
URI: http://localhost/UCW/js/shadowbox/shadowbox.js

---------------------------

Of course, this error happens only in IE8.
Interestingly, ran the file topo.php separately and worked without problems now when he is running the 3 pages together it does not work and reports the error. Have any other browser it runs the 3 pages together and SB works normally.

I think it is something very simple and nothing wrong with "DOCTYPE html ....." file and so on, I think in my case is up to something silly, because running topo.php file separately, it worked normal.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? I will be very grateful.
I look carefully.

PS. Sorry for my bad English, I'm Brazilian.

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Archetrix
Hi LucasBorges,

There is something missing at your Doctype-declaration:

<DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "- / / W3C / / DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional / / EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

And your setup is concatenating three doctypes and three heads and everything else into one Page which is absolutely wrong. I'd place a sure bet if i'd say that this is the source of your problems.

Install Firefox with Html Validator -Addon (at least) and have a look at your page source. You'll wonder how many errors it will list.
Quote from bash #4753
<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

LucasBorges
Archetrix Dear friend, thank you for your attention in answer to my question.

I removed the Head's and other unnecessary items that were not also
necessary and my "DOCTYPE ..." did not understand where you said you were wrong
Well removed all you got to be pointed and convinced that this would be the same
error, but unfortunately the time to test IE8 showed the same error. I am now
install Firefox as you recommended and even try to find a solution.
Do you by chance have any other possible solution to my problem?

Thank you again.

Lucas Borges

PS. This is my "DOCTYPE..."

Re: Shadowbox + IE8 Error = Invalid Argument

Mark Scholten, Software Safaries
In IE6  standard mode an invalid argument can occur due to a haslayout error, as described on the website:
http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/haslayout
IE6 mysteriously thinks that some elements should not be displayed and doesn't calculate offset-height.
as a result the height of other elements  is calculated to a negative value, which results into this error.
This problem still occurs in shadowbox 3.0b and shadowbox 3.02
To solve this you need to make some changes to the shadowbox.css, this will trigger IE6 to give the elements a layout.

#sb-wrapper: remove    visibility:hidden
#sb-loading:  add         z-index:-1
#sb-container: change  position: absolute; add height: 600; width:1200; zoom:1