Theft prevention

Vitaly
Hi,

Lets say, when someone views an image using shadowbox and decides to take the picture and save it on the desktop... Is there a way to lock the picture from being clicked and dragged or right click and save to desktop?

Thank you!

Vitaly Burov

Re: Theft prevention

arttronics
A simple trick is to force the use of the Shadowbox swf Player and it's like having a shield on the image:

Example for Shadowbox.setup:
player: "swf"

Previous Shadowbox Option should have a comma.

When posting your markup here on the forum follow these simple steps:

0. Login and paste your markup into the Message Box.
1. Mouse select the markup you just pasted.
2. Press the More Button from the Message Box Toolbar.
3. Select Raw text from the drop down menu. DONE!

If I don't respond to your POST, it's your inability to provide your markup correctly.

Check out a few DEMOS I made that are here in this forum.

Re: Theft prevention

arttronics
You will notice that the images inside the Shadowbox swf Player are too small. This is normal since Shadowbox requires dimensions if the object is not an image. Shadowbox default size is used.

The good news is that because Shadowbox.setup is installed on the Parent Page and is fired at the correct time for your iframe page, reading of the Shadowbox rel Attribute tags are very much possible!

You will need to make a rel attribute tag for each area tag object.

Shown below is a example from your 2D Gallery:
href="2d_files/Jancheta.jpg" rel="shadowbox;title=Jancheta;width=864;height=831"

When posting your markup here on the forum follow these simple steps:

0. Login and paste your markup into the Message Box.
1. Mouse select the markup you just pasted.
2. Press the More Button from the Message Box Toolbar.
3. Select Raw text from the drop down menu. DONE!

If I don't respond to your POST, it's your inability to provide your markup correctly.

Check out a few DEMOS I made that are here in this forum.

Re: Theft prevention

DeusX
in file shadowbox[-jq-language].js
find this string body.appendChild(img)
and add before this
img.setAttribute("onContextMenu","return false");

= img.setAttribute("onContextMenu","return false");body.appendChild(img)

it's pitty, that the authors don't place this as an option :-(
I tried add this onOpen, but it doesn't work.

Re: Theft prevention

arttronics
Your solution does not work in Firefox or Internet Explorer, only Chrome seems to respect that attribute.

At any rate, it's not a solution because when the context menu has disappeared, you can still drag the image to your folder.

When posting your markup here on the forum follow these simple steps:

0. Login and paste your markup into the Message Box.
1. Mouse select the markup you just pasted.
2. Press the More Button from the Message Box Toolbar.
3. Select Raw text from the drop down menu. DONE!

If I don't respond to your POST, it's your inability to provide your markup correctly.

Check out a few DEMOS I made that are here in this forum.

Re: Theft prevention

Vitaly
Yea.., but what happens if a person has no flash player? Ones I went to show my work, and on that computer there was no flash player installed.

Re: Theft prevention

arttronics
Using flash is a great deterrent that can be done easily with Shadowbox, but it's not a solution for everyone.

The truth is there is no form of protection from keeping somebody to get your image since it loads into the browser to be displayed. This article talks about different techniques but sells a product I know nothing about other than it's a plugin that visitors must use, which in itself is a deterrent to visit your website.

Instead, consider using average size images, as some of your images are 3000 pixels and they do not need to be such high resolution since the 'target' should be a regular sized monitor and not Photoshop.

Another tip is to prevent your website domain from allow it to be iframed so others can't hot-link to your images.

Also note before you even click on an image to view it in Shadowbox, you can just right mouse-click the image-map area and open in new tab to get your image.

When posting your markup here on the forum follow these simple steps:

0. Login and paste your markup into the Message Box.
1. Mouse select the markup you just pasted.
2. Press the More Button from the Message Box Toolbar.
3. Select Raw text from the drop down menu. DONE!

If I don't respond to your POST, it's your inability to provide your markup correctly.

Check out a few DEMOS I made that are here in this forum.

Re: Theft prevention

Vitaly
I think there is no way to prevent people from using my or anybody's art work. Keeping it under 3000px might be my choice. Thank you!

Re: Theft prevention

kreoxte
Shadowbox.init({

    onOpen: onShOpen,
    onClose: onShClose
});

function onShOpen() {
    document.oncontextmenu = function(){return false;}
}

function onShClose() {
    document.oncontextmenu = function(){return true;}

Re: Theft prevention

arttronics
@kreoxte,

This does not prevent somebody to "drag" the image from Shadowbox to the desktop.