Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

sonificator
I just finished porting my site from Lightwindow to Shadowbox, just to discover that it has transformed into a total mess in Firefox (I naively neglected to check this earlier).  Nothing changed in the core html, the only difference between the original Lightwindow version (which looks fine in Firefox) and the current, is basically the references to Shadowbox js/css files and the slightly different markup, yet the corruption of the layout in Firefox is quite obscene - I don't even know where to start.

Is this a known issue?  Am I missing something?  I would be greateful if someone could assist, so I don't have to scrap a week's worth of work and go back to Lightwindow :( :( :(

Here it is ... www.alshine.com ... thank you.

Re: Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

For a sanity check, you might want to run your site through an HTML validator. Now I don't claim that validators will solve all of your problems, but they can help you to find errors in your markup. Besides a lot of illegal elements and attributes, you actually have several tags that you are not closing properly.

Pay special attention to the errors that have the title "document type does not allow element X here" (of which there are 8) and those under the title "end tag for X which is not finished" (of which there are 3).

For example, in your markup there is a row, a form, and a table element, all of which are not properly closed. From my experience with Firefox, whenever something looks crazy, it's usually because my markup is screwed up. It's not sufficient to put the strict doctype at the top of your document. Firefox will actually hold you to it.

Another thing that I noticed with your site is that you are not loading the skin.js file anywhere. Thus, Shadowbox has no markup to insert.

These may not be the solution to your problem, but they certainly will go a long way towards fixing it.

Re: Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

My bad...nevermind the part about the skin. You're using v1 of the code. I would recommend you update to v2 as v1 is no longer maintained.

Re: Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

sonificator
As a specifically emphasized the issue seems shadowbox related - when I have exact same page using Lightwindow markup (i.e. all the same "html errors", just minor markup differences), there is no problem.

Here is the Lightwindow version ... http://www.alshine.com/indexWW.html

Re: Total disaster in Firefox - PLEASE HELP!

Sorry but that's not the "exact same page". In the LightWindow page you're using an XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype and in the Shadowbox page you're using HTML 4.01 Strict.

If you're not willing to fix your markup, at least use a comparable doctype. The Transitional doctype that you're using on the LightWindow page is much more forgiving than strict. See this article for some good references that should help you understand the differences.

For a good example, take a look at the "email" link on your page. You have the exact same markup in both pages in that small section, but when you're using the strict doctype there is a big space between the "resume" and "email" links. That's because you've inserted an extra <td> element in the previous row, and the Strict doctype will display it with the full line height whereas the Transitional will let it slide. That's most likely the exact same type of thing that is happening on the rest of the page.

Try using the Transitional doctype on your Shadowbox page and see if that helps. I don't do my testing on a Transitional doctype (I always use Strict), but it should still work OK.