alternate flash plaer nonverblaster

12

alternate flash plaer nonverblaster

Team Mixed Plate
Hello all,  I absolutely love shadow box. My only question is if there is a way to use the nonverblaster flv/mp4 player rather than the conventional JW FLV Media Player 4.4

nonverblaster  homepage  http://nonverbla.de/blog/2008/09/15/nonverblasterhover/

I notice that mediabox advanced supports using either of these. However I like the look and other aspects of shadowbox. If anyone has any insights I would appreciate any input.

btw  I dnt know if it is relevant but I use rapidweaver for osx

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting! Before your post I had never heard of another good FLV player besides the JW FLV player. It's funny that I didn't find it because I had actually been looking for one. The JW FLV player is licensed such that I cannot include it in the Shadowbox distribution. However, the nonverblaster player looks like a great alternative. I'm going to look into this further and see if it would make a good permanent replacement for the JW FLV player.

I'd like some input from others on this issue as well. How tied is everyone to the JW FLV player?

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

no64
This would be great.... I just intended to ask for that too.
The Player is very slick styled and would match the shadowbox style.

I would suggest to implement the "teaser image" feature - and to be able to place that individual "teaser image" via the shadowbox "rel" Tag.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

cb900crdr
There's also Flowplayer:
http://flowplayer.org/

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

Team Mixed Plate
Hey Michael!

Thank you so much for your quick response. And thank you for developing what I consider to be the most stylish lightbox type code out there. Trust me I have looked at them all. =)  And I am super excited you are going to consider including it. I emailed the chap who developed it and he a pretty cool guy as well.

Keep me posted with any news!     brayjason@Gmail.com

thanks again

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

Aardvark
Hi Michael
Nonverblaster suits me best for flv, so much so that I currently use it in shadowbox via the iframe method. Please include it, or please could you publish any hints on diy including a different player.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

DnLov
Hi there,

only want to ask if there is now a way to include the player easily?

Thanks,
Philipp

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

Jason Bray
Any progress on this? I would be willing to go through a lot to be able to use it.

Thank you

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

no64
Any News on this?

Would be a great feature! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, ...

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

Wizzud
The page given in the initial post of this thread absolutely kills my Firefox browser - puts it into what seems to be a perpetual loop - so I for one will not be looking at it any further!

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

no64
Do you mean the Nonverbla site?
I have and never had any problem with that site - just normal working.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
Flowplayer would actually be much simpler to implement than the current JW media player.  It looks like Shadowbox currently generates an object tag with a bunch of parameters for the JW media player.  Flowplayer would just require an anchor tag with an id and an href to the video.  It takes care of generating its own Flash object tags.

I would suggest that a good way to allow shadowbox to work with any Flash video player would be to generate just an anchor tag with an id and href and then leave it up to either the video player itself or the use of something like swfobject to generate the Flash object tags.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
Actually, now that I look at the Shadowbox source, it is doing most of what it needs to already.  The element that gets replaced is a div instead of an anchor, but it is being replaced by an swf replacement script:

  S.flash.embedSWF(swf, this.id, width, height, version, express, flashvars, params);

So if an option is added for a boolean of whether or not to run the part above, the div becomes an anchor, and an href is added, it should allow Flowplayer or any other video player to be substituted easily.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
Ok, that won't actually work now that I've tried it.  It looks like the element needs to exist before the Flowplayer function is called.  There is a solution, it's just less convenient.  It involves replacing this:

  S.flash.embedSWF(swf, this.id, width, height, version, express, flashvars, params);

with this:

  $f("sb-content", "http://path-to-flowplayer/flowplayer-3.1.5.swf");

So that the flowplayer instance is created within the Shadowbox code after the element has been created.  And also changing the div to an anchor and adding an href:

  var tmp = document.createElement('a');
  tmp.id = this.id;
  tmp.href = this.obj.content;

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

three am
I am pretty keen on getting flowplayer into shadowbox too.
Brendan, once you have it sorted could you share exactly how its done or even provide a demo for us non programmers??!!

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
The above changes work if you just want to hack Shadowbox to make it work.  The trick is finding the spot in the minified code to make the changes.  This is using version 3.0.2.  I would suggest searching for 'jw' as it's all pretty close to where that shows up.  Look for this shortly after the jw stuff:

  var tmp=document.createElement("div");tmp.id=this.id;

Change the "div" to "a".  Immediately after that line add:

  tmp.href=this.obj.content;

Next find this line:

  S.flash.embedSWF(swf,this.id,width,height,version,express,flashvars,params)

And either comment it out or delete it.  In its place add:

  $f("sb-player", "path-to-flowplayer/flowplayer-3.1.5.swf");

Where the path-to-flowplayer is the actual path to where the flowplayer swf lives on your server.  That is just the standard flowplayer instantiation call, so look at the flowplayer documentation for further info on how to modify that.  You will want to also make sure that the flowplayer js file is added to the page.

It should work after you make those changes.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

three am
Thanks for the info Brendan.

I had my programmer have a look into this and he came up with a simpler solution.
This is what he wrote about it:

Step 1: Replace the player.swf in the shadowbox directory. Also move flowplayer.controls-x.x.x.swf to the shadowbox directory.
  By default Flowplayer looks for the controls swf to overlay onto the video.

Step 2: Initialise Shadowbox

  <script type="text/javascript"> Shadowbox.init({ flashVars:{ config: "{'clip':{'url':'url_to_video_here.flv'}}" } }); </script>
  The main difference is that we pass the configuration as a string and not a javascript object.
  You can pass any of the configuration options that Flowplayer accepts
  http://flowplayer.org/documentation/configuration/index.html

Step 3: Rejoice! No need to hack shadowbox.js, uses a free and very good Flash video player.
  And no additional bloaty javascript files are needed, e.g flowplayer.min.js

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

no64
... and what about the NonverBlaster ?

Still one of the best players out there

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
Keep in mind that flowplayer.min.js isn't just some reinvention of swfobject.  It provides the javascript API for Flowplayer which in my opinion is the best thing about it.  So for most people it probably is not a good idea to leave that out.

I use Flowplayer in other contexts besides Shadowbox, so shuffling the files around is less than ideal in my case.  Changing a couple lines in Shadowbox itself causes significantly fewer headaches as a result.

Re: alternate flash player nonverblaster

brendan
It looks like nonverblaster would be easiest to implement using three ams solution.  Just rename NonverBlaster.swf and replace player.swf.  It uses swfobject normally anyway, so it shouldn't have any problems in Shadowbox.
12