Quantcast

help building shadowbox

yolise
I had previously installed Shadowbox on my website, only to find it doesn't work in IE (6 or 7 on Vista or XP). Thinking that it might be an older version, I came to the Shadownbox site to get the latest, but the instructions for building it have confused me something rotten. Would someone be kind enough to walk me through it? I'm not very good at command line stuff so all the Ruby and Rake stuff is quite beyond me.

I've managed to install Ruby on my local windows machine but don't understand how to install Rake.
Normal Installation

You can download the source tarball of the latest version of Rake from

* http://rubyforge.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50

Extract the tarball and run

  % ruby install.rb

from its distribution directory.

What does this mean? I can't find any tarballs on the Rake download page. And I don't know what gem is so can't do that either.

Once rake is installed, then what? The README for Shadowbox says:

Simply edit the parameters in `build.yml` to your liking
and run the following command from the project root directory:

    $ rake

Simply? Where is build.yml? What's the project root directory? Is this a command line thing?

Please tell me there's a simpler way to get the latest version of Shadowbox!

*sob*

Re: help building shadowbox

Re: help building shadowbox

yolise
I did, but the Readme file says (or implies, certainly) it needs to be built:

How to Build
------------

In order to build Shadowbox on your own machine you must have the Ruby programming
language (http://ruby-lang.org/) installed as well as the Rake build tool
(http://rake.rubyforge.org/). Simply edit the parameters in `build.yml` to your liking
and run the following command from the project root directory:

etc, etc. What's all that about?

Re: help building shadowbox

Those are the instructions for building the software from source, which the website already does for you. You don't need to do any of that.

Re: help building shadowbox

yolise
Ok thanks. I guess that's what I get for always reading the readme files!

Re: help building shadowbox

I guess you missed the part about reading the usage instructions on the usage page. If you had read that page you probably wouldn't be so confused.

Re: help building shadowbox

yolise
No, I read it, but assumed that was the usage after the building had been done. :-)

I think the thing that confused me was that there was a lot more in the previous version I downloaded (from where, I'm not sure). There were 5 additional directories so I assumed that those would be created at some point after the "build".

Re: help building shadowbox

I see. I apologize if the changes I made were confusing to you. I have updated the README to better explain to future users that building from source is not required for most users.

Re: help building shadowbox

yolise
Thanks. Hopefully not too many people are as easily confused as I am. ;)