onbeforeunload, IE and shadowbox

Machavity
I have a pure AJAX application where users run through several AJAX pages and select options. As they go along, javascript captures their selections and passes them at the end in an AJAX post. Since everything is JS, I have to catch the unload event or one unknowing back button click wipes all their work. I've added Shadowbox to enlarge some of the options and it works very well except that, in IE, the onbeforeunload event triggers when you try to close the shadowbox. Firefox and Safari do not suffer from this problem.

Any ideas?