stop Flash under Shadowbox

rayOcreative
I'm trying to find out if it's normal for flash to remain live under a shadowbox? I've searched for the answer on this and haven't found or heard anything... anyone know?

This is a test I put together:
http://rayocreative.com/frinightcenter10.html

The flash buttons remain live under the shadowbox which can sometimes glitch during refresh. Is this normal? Any way around it?

I thank you in advance.
rayO

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

trimidium
You need to send a different script function through the onclick event.  so onclick="removeFlash();"  will have to write the script for that, but any kind of ajax script for whatever library you have can replace a box with different content on click.

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

rayOcreative
thanks trim.

I had to take a break and work on something else. Now I'm back on it and I want to figure out what you are suggesting. I'm a little green on the coding side I need a bit more help with your suggestion. Is that function on the flash side [applied to my button in AS 2.0] or HTML side? If you have an example of a script that would do this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

trimidium
It's javascript.  Go to http://www.thesmartass.info and click on any of the menus or on the chat icon in the upper right hand corner.

When you do you will notice that the chat on the right side disappears.  It is being removed by a really basic javascript function called "ahah".  You can google ahah script, though most libraries like jquery have their own version of this.

I am simply replacing the box with content for a box without content making it look like it cleared.

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

In your example page, the shadowbox.js code has been amended to remove 'object' and 'embed' from the list of elements that Shadowbox would normally hide.

You have
each(["select","canvas"]
whereas Shadowbox, by default, has
each(["select","object","embed","canvas"]

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

rayOcreative
thanks Wizzud
if i leave "object" and "embed" in the JS, the flash swf stays on stage. The only problem is, the flash movie and its buttons stay live under the shadowbox. this causes refresh problems [and sound if applied to the buttons] that interferes with the quicktime playback in the shadowbox overlay. I'm trying to figure out a way to call up shadowbox from the flash swf so that the shadowbox plays over the swf without interference from the swf buttons and the movie beneath it. In simple terms, temporarily disabling the flash movie while the shadowbox plays and then returns to its live state when the shadowbox closes. I'm looking into the ahah script that trimidium suggested to see if that gives me a workaround. If you have any other suggestions, i'm all ears. thanks wizzud.

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

smappdooda
I have the newest SB and it has the "["select","object","embed","canvas"]" code intact in the .js file but the embedded flash video still plays audio when SB starts up. Any suggestions?

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

rayOcreative
the only workaround i could find was to eliminate "object" and "embed" so the .js now reads:

each(["select","canvas"]
this hides the flash element while the shadowbox plays. not the ideal solution. but no one could tell me how to do it otherwise.

hopefully that helps.

Re: stop Flash under Shadowbox

smappdooda
On the new version (3.0) the only thing I can find with those options is this - showOverlay:true,troubleElements:["select","object","embed","canvas"]} Removing object and embed causes the flash video to still be visible under SB. It's the audio I want to kill. No each before it. Not sure if it's the same thing.